Australian First – Brownes Dairy switches to sugarcane based renewable milk cartons
- Australia’s first renewable cartons will be launched by Brownes Dairy in October 2019.
- Brownes Dairy will transition all of its milk carton products to Tetra Pak’s renewable milk cartons.
- The renewable milk cartons are made from wood fibres and sugarcane – both renewable resources.
- 25 products will be switched to the new sustainable packaging – about 17.8 million milk cartons per year.
- The bio-based board has been tested to ensure product quality, product freshness and food safety are fully maintained.
- Brownes Dairy will be Australia’s first company to use Tetra Pak’s renewable milk cartons.
Brownes Dairy will ditch the fossil-fuel derived plastic lining in its milk cartons for sugarcane, in a new sustainable packaging move that marks a first for Australia.
Tetra Pak’s Bio-Based Board is the world’s first beverage carton manufactured entirely from wood fibres and sugarcane – both renewable resources.
“There is a lot of emphasis on the importance of recycling, but less of a focus on how we can make products more sustainable from the beginning. Brownes Dairy wanted to improve the sustainability of our packaging across the entire lifecycle of our products,” said Brownes Dairy CEO Tony Girgis.
These bio-based board cartons offer a more sustainable alternative to the standard milk cartons, which contain fossil-fuel derived polyethylene plastic in the lining.
“We have tested the bio-based board repeatedly to ensure our product quality, product freshness and food safety are fully maintained,” said Mr Girgis.
Brownes Dairy will switch 25 of its milk carton products to the new sustainable packaging – about 17.8 million milk cartons per year.
“Brownes Dairy scoured the planet in search of the best sustainable packaging on the market. Making the switch to sugarcane is not only better for the environment, but now our consumers can trust the package is made from raw, plant-based materials,” said Mr Girgis.
Tetra Pak has delivered more than half a billion renewable packs since its bio-based board was first introduced in dairy by Finnish brand Valio in 2015.
Brownes Dairy will be the first company in Australia to integrate the renewable cartons across its entire milk carton range.
“Brownes is proud to be the first company in Australia to embrace this new environmentally-friendly packaging, with innovation top of mind in everything we do,” said Mr Girgis.
- ENDS –